72 W 36th Street, Manhattan, NY 10018
Mon - Fri 11:45 - 10:30 PM, Sat 5:00-10:30 PM, Sun 5:00-9:30 PM
The hard clay churchwarden pipes were brought from the Netherlands and as many as 50,000 were ordered every three years. A pipe warden registered and stored the pipes, while pipe boys returned the pipes from storage to the patrons.
The membership roster of the Pipe Club contained over ninety thousand names, including those of Teddy Roosevelt, Babe Ruth, Will Rogers, Billy Rose, Grace Moore, Albert Einstein, George M. Cohan, J.P. Morgan, Stanford White, John Barrymore, David Belasco, Adlai Stevenson, General Douglas MacArthur and “Buffalo Bill” Cody.
In 1885 Keens Chophouse opened independently under the ownership of Albert Keen, by then a noted figure in the Herald Square Theatre District. Keens soon became the lively and accepted rendezvous of the famous. Actors in full stage make-up hurried through the rear door to “fortify” themselves between acts at the neighboring Garrick Theatre. By the time Keens celebrated its 20th anniversary, you could glance into the Pipe Room and see the jovial congregations of producers, playwrights, publishers and newspaper men who frequented Keens.
In 1905 Lillie Langtry, actress and paramour of King Edward of England, took Keens to court for having denied her access to its gentlemen-only premises. She won her case, swept into Keens in her feathered boa and proceeded to order one of our famous mutton chops.
Today, Keens is the only survivor of the Herald Square Theatre District. In an age which tears down so much of the past it is comforting to find one landmark which survives . . .
“Its essential muttony flavor puts everyday chops
momentarily in the pale.” James Beard, 1950
“Keens’s gigantic chop is magnificent.” Jonathan Gold, 2001
“. . . Amazing mutton chops” Frank Bruni, NYT, 3/2007
“. . . Magnificent mutton chops.” Frank Bruni, NYT, 8/2007
Bar,Dinner,Fine Dining,Lunch,Wheelchair Access
Exclusive - $61 and above